Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New Blog for Jaden

I've decided to start a blog just for Jaden. I really feel the need to document so much more of her life. I think it will lead to some answers and solutions while raising her. I think I am getting closer to having more answers. Well, I say more answers, but what this really means is the recognition of more problems. After reading for several hours and looking at Occupational Therapy websites, I have determined that Jaden has a Sensory Processing Disorder. She has hyposensitivity. It's really, REALLY hard to deal with her on a daily basis. She is SO much work. As she gets older we recognize more that she is not "normal". She is normal in the sense that she academically is right on task. Socially, she is way outgoing and even quite humorous. However, she has the maturity of a rambunctious 2 or 3 year old. She seriously acts like she's about 2 or 3 and a naughty one at that. I'm realizing this as I recognize that I trust Sam more and watch him less. He is more reliable than she is. There are so many times when I want so badly to blog about how down I am about her, but I usually don't. I think by starting a blog for her, I will be able to express myself more too and I will have a record of the ups and downs. She's on a waiting list to see a Physical Therapist here that does Occupational Therapy.


Here's a checklist for hyposensitivity:
(They said that you only need a few from list to qualify)

(The ones that I put in BOLD apply to Jaden.)


1. Hyposensitivity To Touch (Under-Responsive):

__ may crave touch, needs to touch everything and everyone

__ is not aware of being touched/bumped unless done with extreme force or intensity

__ is not bothered by injuries, like cuts and bruises, and shows no distress with shots (may even say they love getting shots!) When she was in the hospital she would rip out her IV's just so the IV lady would come back and visit her. It didn't bother her at all to have the IV put in. We've always noticed that she lacks emotion and pain. She never cries and she never recognizes pain.

__ may not be aware that hands or face are dirty or feel his/her nose running

__ may be self-abusive; pinching, biting, or banging his own head

__ mouths objects excessively

__ frequently hurts other children or pets while playing

__ repeatedly touches surfaces or objects that are soothing (i.e., blanket)

__ seeks out surfaces and textures that provide strong tactile feedback

__ thoroughly enjoys and seeks out messy play

__ craves vibrating or strong sensory input

__ has a preference and craving for excessively spicy, sweet, sour, or salty foods


2. Hyposensitivity To Movement (Under-Responsive):

__ in constant motion, can't seem to sit still

__ craves fast, spinning, and/or intense movement experiences

__ loves being tossed in the air

__ could spin for hours and never appear to be dizzy

__ loves the fast, intense, and/or scary rides at amusement parks. When she was 4 years old she went on the Tower of Terror at Disneyland and Space Mountain was her favorite ride.

__ always jumping on furniture, trampolines, spinning in a swivel chair, or getting into upside down positions

__ loves to swing as high as possible and for long periods of time

__ is a "thrill-seeker"; dangerous at times


__ always running, jumping, hopping etc. instead of walking

__ rocks body, shakes leg, or head while sitting

__ likes sudden or quick movements, such as, going over a big bump in the car or on a bike

3. Hyposensitivity To Oral Input (Under-Registers)

__ may lick, taste, or chew on inedible objects

__ prefers foods with intense flavor; i.e., excessively spicy, sweet, sour, or salty

__ excessive drooling past the teething stage

__ frequently chews on hair, shirt, or fingers

__ constantly putting objects in mouth past the toddler years

__ acts as if all foods taste the same

__ can never get enough condiments or seasonings on his/her food

__ loves vibrating toothbrushes and even trips to the dentist


4. Hyposensitivity To Visual Input (Under-Responsive Or Difficulty With Tracking, Discrimination, Or Perception):

__ has difficulty telling the difference between similar printed letters or figures; i.e., p & q, b & d, + and x, or square and rectangle

__ has a hard time seeing the "big picture"; i.e., focuses on the details or patterns within the picture

__ has difficulty locating items among other items; i.e., papers on a desk, clothes in a drawer, items on a grocery shelf, or toys in a bin/toy box

__ often loses place when copying from a book or the chalkboard

__ difficulty controlling eye movement to track and follow moving objects

__ has difficulty telling the difference between different colors, shapes, and sizes

__ often loses his/her place while reading or doing math problems

__ makes reversals in words or letters when copying, or reads words backwards; i.e., "was" for "saw" and "no" for "on" after first grade

__ complains about "seeing double"

__ difficulty finding differences in pictures, words, symbols, or objects

__ difficulty with consistent spacing and size of letters during writing and/or lining up numbers in math problems

__ difficulty with jigsaw puzzles, copying shapes, and/or cutting/tracing along a line

__ tends to write at a slant (up or down hill) on a page

__ confuses left and right

__ fatigues easily with schoolwork

__ difficulty judging spatial relationships in the environment; i.e., bumps into objects/people or missteps on curbs and stairs

No comments:

Post a Comment