Oh how I wish that I could keep up with everything. I need to update on Jaden's testing in SLC and yet she's moved onto another phase and so this is all irrelevant. But for history's sake, here it goes anyway. The bottom line of her testing is that she was diagnosed with
Secondary ADHD
What this means is that she has ADHD, but it is called secondary because it is being caused by another medical problem. It's not something that she would have otherwise. The abnormal brain activity (seizure activity) that she has in her frontal lobe causes receptors to be non existent or not work at all. In the frontal lobe of an ADHD child the receptors also don't exist or work. We were given two choices:
1) treat the behavior with adhd medication
-or-
2) leave it be
The consequences of treating the behavior are that ADHD meds lower the seizure threshold. So in other words, if she takes ADHD medication then she will have more seizures. At that point, I was willing to deal with more seizures if the behavior could be controlled more. Ron on the other hand was not hip at all on giving her medication for ADHD. We had time to think about it because they wanted me to make an appointment with her pediatrician and if we decided to medicate then they wanted him to be the prescriber for her ADHD meds.
No comments:
Post a Comment